Dalkey Tidy Towns is a voluntary community group that aims to keep Dalkey a beautiful heritage town by maintaining the streets and parks in the area. The Dalkey Tidy Towns committee work with many other voluntary bodies to improve our town’s environment, together with the support of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.
DTT Achievements 2017
- An Tasice Ocean Heroes Group of the Year
- DLRCC Tidy Districts Competition
- Best Town Overall winner 2017
- DCC Endeavour Award
- National Tidy Towns Competition (Dalkey in the top 5% of 870 centres)
- Second place/Highly commended in County Awards
- Winner gold medal for the second year.
Major Projects 2017
- Dalkey Seven Castles: DTT initiated the creation of 7 specially commissioned bronze icons that have been inserted into the pavement along Castle St. at the original castle locations.
- Dillon’s Park: the restoration of public access to large areas and to vistas across to Dalkey Island that have been lost for years. An ancient well was discovered after the removal of very heavy overgrowth at the lower part of the park. This work is ongoing.
- Bulloch Harbour: The Harbour Improvement Programme involves working and liaising with the owners Dublin Port. DTT accepted responsibility for the day-to-day Maintenance Programme agreed with Dublin City Port. DTT with Bulloch Harbour Preservation Association spearheaded a major community response to address a large scale inappropriate quayside development at the former Western Marine site.
- Sorrento Park Summit Viewing Area: DTT completed the installation of the viewing area with benches and a stone compass. DTT continue to press for this park’s restoration for the benefit of locals and visitors to Dalkey.
- Vico Road: DTT cut back the overgrowth of gorse and brambles along the road
- Graffiti: when this is reported, tags are photographed and then removed as soon as possible
- Cleaning and removal of excessive vegetation and litter from a number of sites
- Planted areas –DTT maintain the planted areas weeding year round and supplying plants
- Litter patrols –in total 140 DTT litter patrols operated on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
The committee members are:
Paddy Rigney (Chairman)
Dr. Susan Mc Donnell
Des Burke Kennedy
Do you have a free hour or two each week? We’d love you to join us. Our litter patrols operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 10.30am. Meet at ‘Writers Corner’, Castle Street.
Visit the Dalkey Tidy Towns website and see what’s been achieved and how much more needs to be done.
Dalkey Tidy Towns on Facebook
1 day 51 minutes ago
HARRY NOW HAS A REALLY LOVELY VIEW AT ARCHBOLD'S KEEP A BIG THANK YOU to DLRCC for responding so well to our ambition to upgrade the area surrounding Archbold's Castle. Constructed in the 14th century, it might never have looked so good. The stone bench donated in 2006 by Dalkey Community Council in memory of our great Historian, Harry Latham RIP, now overlooks a beautiful new flower bed and a…
DTT TEAM FINISHES THE CATS LADDER CLEANUP TODAY The DTT team finished the job today without even one heart-attack to report 🙂 Carrying our equipment up and down and down and up made it a close call. Many thanks to Michael, Alan, Frank and Des who were all very impressed by the constant flow of walkers, climbers and joggers who passed us today. Well done all.
RESURFACING ADDS LOVELY WARM ATMOSPHERE TO CASTLE STREET Over the coming days, Castle Street will be transformed. Already, it looks a lot warmer and a more inviting place for all as we head in to gloomy winter evenings. Change always upsets some but some also thrive on it. We all want to make this coming Christmas a happy one for Dalkey and this is a great start.
Love it - looks really good! I hope this doesnt sound like a stupid question - but how are they going to keep it clean?! The part up by The Duck is already really dirty looking - I know theres probably not a lot can be done with oil etc, but theres two massive dirty tracks already in only a couple of weeks! Just asking if they clean the roads from time to time to keep it looking nice and beige?!
1 - 13 hours 12 minutes ago
2 days 4 hours ago
Dalkey Tidy Towns updated their status.
3 days 2 hours ago
CATS LADDER - THE BEST WORKOUT LOCATION IN DALKEY You would be amazed at how many Dalkey residents use the Cats Ladder to get the heart pumping every day ! This very useful stairs of 237 steps and shortcut from Torca Road all the way down to the Vico Road is very special - but it does get overgrown and that makes the steps a bit of a slip hazard.…